🎁 Hey guys! It’s the BIG 10 and today’s recipe is completely inspired by Aunty Bridget White-Kumar, the best Anglo-Indian chef in the world. Her recipes are really great and easy to do. So, last evening, after my dad and I had a chat with her on Facebook Live, we asked her if she had a rum ball recipe that we could use for our ongoing “12 Days of Christmas with TTM & Family”.
The recipe she gave us was really easy and didn’t take that long to make. One change at our end was adding coconut. Now coconut represents the Christmas snow and rum is the warmth of the season. After making this and having a chat with her I understood why my dad calls her the ‘queen of Anglo-Indian food’. But anyway, enough from me. Let’s see what Auntie Bridget has to say.
“Rum balls are a truffle-like confection of sweet, dense cake or biscuit material flavoured with chocolate and rum. They are roughly the size of a golf ball and often coated in chocolate sprinkles, desiccated coconut, or cocoa. Rum Balls are rich in flavour and have a fudgy texture.
Rum balls are one of the Christmas season’s easiest and most delicious treats. Fruit cakes are normally used as they are already packed with fruits, nuts and spices. However, chocolate cake or vanilla cake could also be used. The Rum balls can also be made with digestive biscuits instead of cake.”
👉 Rum Balls
- 300 grams Fruitcake (or chocolate or vanilla cake)
- 100 grams Icing sugar for binding and rolling
- 3 or 4 tablespoons condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Chocolate sprinkles or desiccated coconut for decoration (optional)
- Crumble the cake into smooth crumbs without lumps
- Mix the butter and condenses milk with the cake crumbs and Rum and mix well
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes if the mixture is too runny or until just firm enough to handle
- Take small portions of the mixture and roll into balls using the icing sugar to bind them
- Now roll the balls in the cocoa powder to coat them well
- You can serve the rum balls like this or coat them with Chocolate sprinkles or desiccated coconut for decoration (optional)
- Place each Rum Ball in mini muffin cups
- Refrigerate till required to serve