The Journey called Food – my soup trail…
Soup has always been my comfort food, the bowl I could fall back on, when I need my palate to be awakened. In this blog we bring you a soup that we’ve all been fond of since our childhood. Probably, the best known of soups and the most consumed. Topped with some fresh cream and a crunchy crouton it’s a foodie heaven. We introduced this version to some children at a school and they loved it! We won too we got them to have a fair share of their daily intake of healthy vegetables minus the ‘Fuss’. Brings back childhood memories, eh! Now why don’t you make this for you children or for yourself and join us in this journey to the Passion called Food.
- Cream of Tomato Soup – Ingredients
- 1Kg Tomatoes, ripe
- 4Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, medium, chopped
- 1 Carrot, peeled & diced
- 1 Celery stick, peeled & diced
- ½ Courgette, diced
- ½ Red Pepper, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2Tbsp Tomato Puree
- ½ Cup Basil, chopped
- 1Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 600ml Vegetable Stock
- 1Tbsp Sugar
- ¼ Tsp Black Pepper, ground
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 2Tbsp Double Cream
- Bring to boil a pot of water.
- Cut an ‘X’ on the tomato, and blanch in the boiling water for about a minute and immediately plunge into ice cold water. Then peel the skin and chop the tomatoes.
- In a pan put oil and sauté the onion, carrot, celery, courgette, red pepper and garlic. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the tomato purée and cook for another 2-3 minutes taking care not to burn it. Add the chopped tomato.
- Now add the vegetable stock and all the other ingredients, except the Double cream.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes
- Blend to a fine puree and serve with Bread and a swirl of double cream.