On the second day of Christmas & family the Taste Magician gives to you – Mini Turtle Pies
Day 2 has arrived! As we progress through each day of Christmas every day gets better. Today we have Mini Turtle Pies. Now, the tradition with these are they have to have some sort of caramel, cream, pudding and pecans they usually have to be topped with the cream and pecans. But it is your Christmas treat, so any topping you want can be used. When we made these the whole family enjoyed it, this means it is great for the whole family. We had one person to make each component and trust me, it was great! Instead of caramel we used Dulce De Leche and made homemade whipped cream which you can see here. The kids loved helping decorate these as it gave them total freedom, there was no holding back, for those who love to be creative this is a perfect treat to make.
- 12 Frozen Tart Shells
- ¼ cup Chopped Roasted Peanuts
- ¼ cup Dulce De Leche
- Whipped cream
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 ½ Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Milk
- 64g Chopped Chocolate
- Bake tart shells according to package directions. (once baked set aside to cool to room temperature).
- Meanwhile prepare your pudding. In a pan whisk together sugar, cocoa and corn starch. Add the egg and milk and whisk till smooth
- Place over medium heat and cook and stir until thickened (about 6-8 minutes). Stir in chocolate until melted. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon of pecans and 1 teaspoon of dulce de leche into the bottom of each tart shell. Top with chocolate pudding and refrigerate at least 1-2 hours or until set.
- Garnish with whipped cream and pecans.
- You can also make these in the microwave, although timing will vary. But it is much easier.
- You can use ready-made tart cases you don’t need frozen tart shells.
- Any toppings can be used such as berries, chocolates, tropical fruits.